Paddle Now! Special Events : Indoor Pool Sessions
During the winter season, the CPA enjoys access to indoor pool sessions around the Maryland, Virgina, and Washington D.C. area to practice and learn new skills. These are open sessions, not lessons, however quite often you can find a friendly CPA member who is willing to spot and give advice. Members are responsible for bringing their own boat and gear.
Important: Visit the Forums( CPA Discussion Board ) for specific pool discussions, available open dates, updates or to coordinate rolling practice with other paddlers.
Mike teaching Julie to roll at an indoor pool session, Maryland.
(Photo courtesy of DJ Manalo)
Catriona teaching a UMD student how to roll at a pool session, Maryland.
(Photo courtesy of DJ Manalo)
Various Pool Sessions that occur in the Chesapeake Bay area:
- Fairlands Sports and Aquatics Complex
- Catonsville YMCA
- Lee District ReCenter
- PPS at Audrey Moore
Fairlands Sports and aquatics Complex
Location: Fairland Aquatics Center
13820 Old Gunpowder Rd
Laurel, MD 20707
Fairlands is currently closed indefinitely for repairs.
Catonsville YMCA Pool Sessions
Location: Catonsville YMCA
850 S. Rolling Rd
Catonsville, MD 21228
Saturday Nov. 23, 2013, 7-9 PM
Saturday, Dec. 28, 2013, 7-9 PM
Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014, 7-9 PM
Saturday, Mar.15, 2014, 7-9 PM
Hours: 7:00 - 9:00 pm
There is a limit of 10 boats for each session, so that’s 40 potential slots. There will also be up to two people waitlisted for each session.Fee: $10 per person.
Questions: Contact Rick Wiebush to sign up and if you have any questions about the use of the facilities.
Required: BOATS MUST BE TOTALLY CLEAN. Boats and gear must be clear of leaves, mud, grass, etc. There is a hose by the door at pool-level for those who need to use it and a fellow kayaker might have a sponge if you need one.
Registration:1. Contact Rick Wiebush to reserve spots. But read the rest of this.
2. Request two of the four dates. We’re doing this because there is a shortage of pool sessions this winter and we are trying to spread the slots around to as many people as possible. If you would like more than two slots, let me know. If the slots don’t fill, I’ll get back to you and offer you additional sessions.
3. These sessions are not available for those people who already have two or more slots on the dates that we originally offered at the Catonsville Y for (mostly Baltimore area) CPA members. You know who you are.
4. If you say “I prefer X date and Y date, but I’ll take any two dates”, that will increase your chances of getting some slots. If you do this, you should also let me know if there are any dates you absolutely can’t do.
5. It’s first come, first served.
6. I’ll get back to you right away and let you know what dates you have. I’ll also ask you to send me a check to cover the cost of your sessions. If you end up on a waiting list for any date(s), you don’t have to pay until we know you will be getting a slot.
7. There are no refunds, with two exceptions. If there are not enough people to fill a session that you requested and I cancel it as a result, you’ll get a refund. Also, if the Y is closed due to snow and I can’t fit you into another session, you’ll get a refund. Otherwise, no.
8. I have no idea what the response to this will be like. It could be that not many people are interested in coming to Catonsville. We need at least 6 people to make the session happen. If we have 6, 7, 8 or 9 people, I will ask you for additional money (up to $6 more) to cover the cost of the pool. Five or fewer people signed up will result in a cancellation.<9. I’ll send you directions to the Catonsville Y after you sign up.
RF Wilkinson YMCA in Williamsburg, VA
Location: RF Wilkinson YMCA
301 Sentara Circle
Williamsburg, VA 23188
Dates and Times to be Determined.
Lee District ReCenter
Location: Lee District ReCenter
6601 Telegraph Rd
Franconia, VA 22301
Days and times: To be announced at the end of November.
Fee: Fairfax County requires enrollment prior to the start of the sessions. Enrollment is provided online or via phone to Fairfax County ParkTakes. Sessions are paid for in monthly groups. The Jan and Feb usually fill up early.
Questions: Check out the online ParkTakes site at Fairfax County ParkTakes. Select BOATING from Category, and enter ROLLING into Keywords. Note that there are sessions with or without boat rental. Boat rentals are WW boats and include coaching by an instructor.
Reservations: Reservations MUST be made in advance to use these pool session. See above. Although members have been able to fill in for those who have already paid but cannot make a session. Use the forums to discuss amongst yourselves.
Required: BOATS MUST BE TOTALLY CLEAN. Boats and gear must be clear of leaves, mud, grass, etc. There is a hose inside the door for use in cleaning your boats.
Recommended: If there is any questionable winter weather, confirm the pool is open by visiting the site link listed above.
PPS at Audrey Moore
Location: Audrey Moore Rec Center at Wakefield Park
8100 Braddock Road,
Annandale, VA 22003
Days: November 10; December 22; January 5; February 2; March 2; April 6, 2013
Time: 7:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Fee: Practice sessions are $35 each, or a group of 4 for $100. Instruction is also provided at another fee rate. See the link listed above for more details.
Questions: Contact Potomac Paddle Sports at the above link listed.
Reservations: Reservations MUST be made in advance to use these pool session.
Required: BOATS MUST BE TOTALLY CLEAN. Boats and gear must be clear of leaves, mud, grass, etc.